Continuing education is critical for employees at all levels within an organization. It not only provides the chance to learn new skills and keep up with the most current research, but can keep employees interested in and excited by their day-to-day work. YuJa enables the creation of full-featured continuing education courses.
For most professionals, work obligations continue on a year-round basis. This makes full-time, traditional in-classroom learning difficult. Online learning can enable workers to meet their responsibilities and benefit from continuing ed. While some employees may opt for coursework at local colleges or be in ongoing graduate programs, for others, online courses offer flexible learning options. There are two different types of online-only courses. A MOOC is a Massive Open Online Course; a SPOC is a Small Private Online Course. YuJa is an ideal way to organize a MOOC or SPOC for employees by providing collaboration and interactivity tools.
Choosing a MOOC or SPOC
As noted, you have two distinct and different options to create continuing education resources. These are distinguished primarily by size and accessibility. A MOOC is open, meaning anyone can enroll. For instance, you might create a MOOC offering instruction on new learning modalities for educators. This could be made accessible to anyone who wanted to enroll in the course. More and more universities are offering MOOCs, and they appeal to a large audience.
A SPOC is relatively small and open only to an invited audience. For instance, if your corporation has adopted a new policy to meet the needs of employees with disabilities, a SPOC could be created to provide staff with the information and knowledge they need to integrate this policy. This would not be an open course, but one available to a relatively small group of people. SPOCs are not only smaller, but also typically include substantially more contact between instructors and students. In a large MOOC, students and instructors typically have no contact with one another.
Planning Continuing Education
Once you’ve chosen a topic, created a course syllabus and outline, and planned lectures, creating a MOOC or SPOC with YuJa is simple. Topics for a continuing education MOOC or SPOC might include:
- New research discoveries
- Improved work habits
- New technologies
- New institutional policies and procedures
There are many MOOCs already available; however, these may not meet specific goals. Creating a custom MOOC or SPOC can address concerns for your institution, provide specific continuing education and further the goals within an office, institution or corporation.
Creating a Continuing Education MOOC or SPOC
YuJa offers several different ways to create video-based courses, capture lectures and live broadcast courses for your students. Start by capturing lectures for your class. You can opt for different types of capture.
- Appliance-based capture in a classroom to record lectures. This is ideal if you’re creating multiple courses and would like to simplify recording for the instructors.
- Many instructors, working on this type of class, will opt for software- based capture. This easy-to-use interface allows instructors to record their lecture via a laptop or podium computer. Software-based capture is easy-to-use in a classroom, an office, or even from home.
- Instructors can record with personal capture. Personal capture allows for video collaboration and mobile recording, as well as recording from a laptop or desktop computer.
Both appliance and software-based capture are dual-capture technologies. They livestream your capture and save and upload it to the cloud for future review. Invited guests can also attend personal captures live as they happen.
Your course lectures become part of your Learning Channel. They auto-caption for easy review, and can be viewed on any computer or mobile device with an internet connection. Students can view lectures, either in real-time or when they have time available. Since your lectures are saved to the YuJa Cloud, they remain available to your students in the future.
Lectures are only one part of the YuJa course experience.
- Create online quizzes and video quizzes make it simple to assess student learning.
- The multimedia discussion forums allow students to interact and engage with one another.
- Students can collaborate on projects, using file sharing.
- Class members can present work using video presentations with personal capture.
The YuJa social learning experience, incorporating video lectures, multimedia discussions and more provides students with the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills, form relationships with colleagues and peers, and take that knowledge forward to use in their daily lives.