Video Content Management Systems, abbreviated VCMS, serve three distinct purposes: they store multimedia content, manage and organize that content, and deliver that content to the viewer. Complete Video Content Management Solutions also provide tools for content creation, playback, and analysis. These include:
- Lecture capture solutions to record and create video content.
- Batch upload capabilities to store previously created content.
- Adaptive bitrate streaming for high-quality playback.
- Multiple search capabilities to enable users to find content.
- Automatic transcoding of uploaded video content.
- Access to video analytics to provide feedback about users and content.
Storage and the VCMS
With the growing importance of video content, institutions and corporations need a practical way to store large, high-quality files. Network drives pose a number of problems, from space to access issues. Common cloud-based file storage solutions are often not designed to handle large video files, and lack management, delivery and playback tools. The VCMS is an expandable solution designed to store video content in a custom-created cloud designed for video and multimedia storage. There’s no need for network maintenance, space or equipment on site. Backups, maintenance, and ongoing storage needs are all handled by the VCMS.
Organizing and Managing Video Content
The VCMS doesn’t simply provide storage for multimedia content. It also provides the tools needed to organize content and to manage who has access to the content. Creating different access levels is key to securing copyrighted or sensitive materials, while still creating a vibrant public face.
- Publicly accessible video content enables potential students, parents, investors, and others to see content shared publicly. There is no need to login or have special permissions.
- Campus or company wide content is typically accessible to all registered users of the VCMS, or to different groups of registered users.
- Group or Course content provides multimedia content to smaller, specific groups.
Content can be sorted into folders and subfolders, and search tools enable users to locate desired files with ease.
Delivering Multimedia Content
The VCMS also needs to deliver content to users. It should be accessible, high-quality, and adaptable. Users should be able to find, watch and download video content from the VCMS. Adaptive bitrate streaming and integrated video players accommodate a variety of internet speeds, browsers, and viewing conditions. Flexible design enables mobile viewing of video content on a smartphone or tablet.