For many colleges and universities, lecture capture, or recording instructional lectures, has been one component of a successful transition to hybrid or entirely remote learning operations. Not only does this type of technology enable video recording in a traditional sense, but it can capture webcam video, digital whiteboards and computer screens using software, hardware, your browser or even mobile devices.
As the landscape has changed, so too have the needs of institutions, many of which have a desire to provide higher value content to learners. Features that were once an added bonus are standard, and features that help engage, innovate, and ease technology learning curves (for both instructors and students) are a higher priority.
As leaders in video enterprise solutions, we spend a great deal of time not only innovating and developing the next generation of learning tools, but also in understanding organizational needs and priorities.
Top Lecture Capture Features
Below are several important feature considerations as you embark on or learn more about lecture capture.
Compatibility is Paramount
One of the most important considerations (for any new technology) is how well it integrates with existing technology. This is not an area to compromise on, as it makes the entire transition and use of video tools easier for all parties involved.
- Your lecture capture solution should integrate with other existing technology and meet Learning Tools Interoperability standards. YuJa, Inc. is an IMS Global Learning Consortium Affiliate member. LTI® Advantage is the gateway to enabling digital transformation—rapidly advancing a secure educational technology ecosystem where users have more options for innovative tools that work together and result in better integrations, better user experiences, and better learning. The Content Item Messaging (CIM) capability, which is part of the IMS Advantage Standard, enables Gradebook Sync.
- Another advantageous feature YuJa, Inc. offers is interactive assessment capabilities within the video experience, which includes creating video quizzes, inserting related documents, and making interactive comments.
Ability to Create Higher Value Content
Everyone involved is likelier to embrace new tools when they’re inherently easier and more intuitive. Features like multi-stream, non-destructive editing within a web browser, smart workflows, inline caption editing and the ability to schedule recordings all allow course designers and instructors to create and deliver higher value content for learners.
- YuJa Lecture Capture allows even more tools within the video editor to create engaging content without the hassle, including tools for higher quality ASR captioning, multi-source playback and apps that enable lecture capture outside of the classroom for capturing field work, practicums and ad-hoc captures.
- Like video conferencing tools, students and professors can add virtual backgrounds. Real-time whiteboards, desktop recording/sharing, bookmarking, note-taking capabilities, collaboration tools like in-video commenting, and live streaming all add to the value of a product, increase engagement and help improve learning by making your high-value content accessible to all.
Playback Ability is More Important Than Ever for Third Party Content
With many students and teachers not being able to return to their classrooms, ensuring that videos can play on any device is more important than ever. Some institutions have students enrolled who have never set foot on their campus or even in the state in which the college or university is located. Students have to be able to access lectures any time and from anywhere.
- YuJa allows the ability to download content for offline consumption (without WiFi or network connectivity), allowing flexible viewing on any device and dynamic storage solutions.
- The YuJa Enterprise Video Platform can automatically ingest content from other third-party providers such as Blackboard Collaborate, Skype for Business, WebEx, Cisco Teleconference, and more via our Watch Point ingestion tool. Video conference recordings from Zoom, Webex and YuJa can become playable videos, which enhances playback experience.
Actionable Engagement Analytics Benefit the Institution
Measuring student engagement is essential to understanding what is going well and to determine areas of improvement. Ensure your lecture capture learning system offers detailed reports and information about audience engagement, along with a comprehensive overview of viewing and usage behaviors.
- The YuJa Enterprise Video Platform’s Visual Analytics suite collects a wide variety of data and provides reports that cover system statistics, usage, and instructional insights.
- Visual Analytics and Audit Logging encompasses all aspects of the Video Platform’s function. Visual Analytics has been designed to prioritize key insights, enable easy-to-use filtering, present meaningful visual insights and enable on-demand and automated data exportation.
Instructors should be able to zero in on areas of concern and track participation and user adoption using near real-time reporting. Today’s integrated tools have the capability to automatically identify actionable video insights to ensure students are getting the most out of each lecture.
Need more information on Lecture Capture, choosing the right tools or Hybrid Learning? Check out our Comprehensive Guide to Lecture Capture in Today’s Educational Environment or reach out.