Collaboration isn’t only an essential skill in the classroom, but it’s more important than ever in the modern workplace. Developing collaboration skills throughout the course of a student’s education can provide lifelong benefits, from problem solving to enhanced communication, retention and more. Additionally, research has shown that educational experiences that are active, social, contextual, engaging and student-owned lead to deeper learning. Introducing collaborative learning through tools provided by YuJa will bolster students’ education long term.
What is Collaborative Learning? According to Cornell University’s Center for Teaching Innovation, collaborative learning is an educational approach that involves students working together in pairs or small groups to solve a problem, complete a task or create a product. Benefits include:
- Development of higher-level thinking, oral communication, self-management, and leadership skills.
- Promotion of student-faculty interaction.
- Increase in student retention, self-esteem, and responsibility.
- Exposure to and an increase in understanding of diverse perspectives.
- Preparation for real life social and employment situations.
Collaborative Learning Transfers to the Workplace The collaborative learning approach carries from the classroom directly into the office, creating individuals capable of working effectively together and solving workplace problems as a team. It encourages cooperation, communication, and makes the best of each person’s strengths. A LinkedIn Learning study showed that talent developers, executives and people managers all agree that training for soft skills, such as collaboration, communication and leadership are a top priority. Further:
Providing avenues in the workplace to meet these objectives is vital to a successful office environment in which everyone thrives.tudents who graduate prepared to work effectively in a collaborative environment are desirable employees. The communication skills, etiquette and cooperation mastered through collaborative learning will take students from the classroom to the office with grace and ease.
- 68% of employees prefer to learn at work
- 58% prefer to learn at their own pace
- 49% of employees prefer to learn at the point of need
How YuJa’s Suite of Products Integrates into Collaborative Learning YuJa integrates aspects of collaborative learning into the classroom environment through the Enterprise Video Platform, where each learner has the opportunity to actively participate in the classroom experience.
YuJa makes it easy to allow students to collaborate and solve problems. For students in brick-and-mortar classrooms or in a virtual environment, the social learning environment improves access to and opportunities for collaboration, thereby creating richer, more flexible and streamlined learning.
- Access to file uploads, video chats, and shared files allow students to work in groups, to interact, and to make active progress on course work.
- Real-time whiteboards enable participants to draw and annotate within a live Video Conference session ideal for one-on-one office hours, small group collaborations, and large-scale video conferencing.
- YuJa’s Video Conferencing Platform for the classroom enables multimedia collaboration with no application downloads or installs.
YuJa is a leader in enterprise video solutions. Our products harness the power of video to educate, engage, inspire and collaborate. We serve organizations of all sizes, within all sectors, including higher-ed
, government, healthcare, non-profit
delivering engaging video experiences. We have legal headquarters in Delaware with primary U.S. offices in Silicon Valley, California and Canadian offices in Toronto.