- Internet and Intranet websites
- Smartphones and mobile devices
- Tablets, laptops and desktop computers
- PDF documents
- Online training, webinars and teleconferencing
- Software and operating systems
Section 508 doesn’t only apply to federal agencies. It impacts any company that does business with federal agencies, including private contractors, financial institutions, healthcare, many legal organizations, and others.
Section 508 Refresh
In 2017, Section 508 standards were formally refreshed, which changed the scope of what is included in Section 508, making it more inclusive of electronic documents. It also improved synchronization of accessibility standards globally, such as with worldwide accessibility standards like the World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
YuJa is Committed to Section 508 Compliance
YuJa’s comprehensive technology suite, which is designed to help those who require assistive technology, is 508 Compliant. Videos integrate with standard SRT formatting to allow subtitling and captions.
Other compliance features include:
- YuJa is fully compatible with assistive technologies, including screen magnifiers.
- Video and audio lectures offer synchronized captions through the use of SRT formatting.
- Any video broadcast can be accompanied by a text transcript.
- All scripts, plug-ins and other features are accessible through assistive technology.
- The Video Platform’s Media Management and Media Player support Audio Description, which provides a descriptive narration of visual elements to make content inclusive.
Assistive Technologies are Audited
To ensure superior quality and usability across a wide cross-section of users, YuJa Inc. engages with independent, third-party accessibility auditors. Part of the audit requirements are using common assistive technologies with the Video Platform including JAWS, Zoom-to-Text, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Windows Narrator, among others. Additionally, every new feature introduced meets or exceeds VPAT/508 specification requirements.
It is our goal to meet the needs of all students, including those who use assistive technology in a traditional or online classroom. For a Section 508 checklist, visit WebAIM.