YuJa offers a smart way to manage employee onboarding or organizational socialization. Onboarding helps new hires at your company adjust to company expectations about performance and socialization quickly and easily. This improves employee success and retention and should be a priority for human resources departments at corporations and institutions of all sizes.
Effective employee onboarding not only communicates information about a company, but also helps new hires to feel competent, comfortable and to become part of the team. There are two distinct types of onboarding: formal and informal. Formal onboarding is based on written guidelines and procedures, while informal onboarding relies upon casual on-the-job interactions. While informal onboarding can supplement formal onboarding, formal onboarding provides more reliable, positive results for both companies and employees.
The Four Levels of Onboarding
The four levels of onboarding are sometimes called the four C’s: compliance, clarification, culture and connection.
- Compliance is the lowest level and includes teaching employees basic legal and policy-related rules and regulations. When employees are provided with an employee handbook, and explanations about rules and regulations, this is an example of compliance onboarding.
- Clarification refers to ensuring that employees understand their new jobs and all job-related expectations. This may include support by supervisors and co-workers. Clarification provides information about job tasks.
- Culture is a broad category that includes providing employees with a sense of organizational norms— both formal and informal. Every company is different, and employees adjust best when they know and understand what is expected, behaviorally, in the company.
- Connection refers to the vital interpersonal relationships and information networks that new employees must establish. Establishing connections supports teamwork, and helps employees to feel a sense of belonging.
How YuJa Can Help with Onboarding
While YuJa can’t take the place of some forms of onboarding, like personal connections with co-workers, it can help to support employee onboarding in several key ways.
- Provide additional support for rules and policies with video-based learning. Videos created with YuJa lecture capture tools are an ideal way to teach employees about security policies, time off procedures, and how to clock or log in and out.
- Teach common or shared job tasks using lecture capture tools. Employees can easily refer to these over and over again as they master tasks.
- Show employees the company culture–share videos of events and activities to help new employees learn more about the company and get a better idea of who the employees are and how they interact.
- Encourage the use of online social tools to help employees connect. If your company uses an internal system, be certain to train new hires. If not, YuJa provides a number of tools for social connection, including always-on video chatrooms, text-based chat and real-time discussions.