Many institutions, including Yale University, Boston University and Northwestern University, have adopted or are adopting cloud-based options, like Google Apps, for work tasks, email, and other needs. Examples of cloud-based services used everyday include Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, or OneDrive. These services let you access your data from anywhere, providing secure and stable storage for your data. YuJa offers the same secure, stable and reliable storage for your multimedia content. Course content, including lecture captures, videos, presentation materials and more, can require a substantial amount of storage space. In addition, it’s critical that content be available to instructors and students on a consistent basis, with no downtime.
Types of Cloud-Based Storage
There are several different types of cloud-based storage. You may already use some of these in your personal or professional life.
- Personal/mobile cloud storage is the service that backs up your iPhone or Android phone. If you damage your phone, get a new phone, or need to restore your phone, you can turn to the cloud to bring your life back online. Both types of common mobile phones offer cloud-based backup services.
- Publicly available cloud-based storage. These services offer some amount of storage space at no or a low cost to users, accessed with a simple username and password. Google Drive is a common choice for students and professionals. These services let you store and access your files, and make it easy to share and collaborate on files.
- Privately available cloud storage creates a cloud-based storage solution with limited access. Files are available only to allowed users. This is a secure storage solution, like the YuJa Cloud.
- Hybrid cloud storage is relatively public, but offers the option to increase privacy and limit access on some data. This is an on/off solution, with changes to access at the user’s convenience. YuJa also incorporates aspects of this storage solution, as users can choose to make video content publicly accessible.
The Benefits of Using the Cloud
- Flexibility–Cloud-based storage is flexible. Your storage solution can easily expand to meet your needs with minimal additional investment. Unlike local storage options, there’s no need for costly hardware purchases or routine maintenance.
- Disaster Prevention–Using a cloud-based solution means that the risk of catastrophic local hardware failures is dramatically minimized. Cloud-based solutions offers reliability and redundancy to prevent the risk of hardware failure impacting your content.
- Automated Maintenance–With cloud-based storage solutions, maintenance is out of your hands. In the case of YuJa, YuJa’s skilled support staff cares for your data, round the clock.
- Reduced Capital Expenditure–Low subscription costs limit initial capital expenditures. Affordable regular payments allow you to easily store all of your institution’s data.
- Increased Collaboration–Cloud-based computing makes collaboration simple, effective and practical. Teams can work together from remote locations, or access documents from anywhere.
- Market Competitiveness–Students and employees expect and demand access to smart and efficient cloud-based learning and collaboration solutions.
- Reduced Environmental Impact–Cloud-based solutions are practical and sustainable. They require far fewer resources for construction, maintenance, and use than local storage options.