With video analytics, instructors and administrators can see who watched a video, review video hotspots, and see how long each viewer spent watching different videos. A powerful analytics suite is a key component to a Video Content Management System (VCMS), as it can draw attention to what media is making an impact and how it’s performing.
YuJa’s Enterprise Video Platform offers a variety of information about individual media files and how users interact with those files. The overall summary shows information on storage, views, viewing patterns and where users stop watching the video, providing instructors with insights on areas where students may be having trouble.
Using Analytics to Improve Play Rate
Your play rate is how often viewers play video content. A low play rate means your investment in video content will be ineffective, and your students, clients and customers won’t learn as much as they could from your videos.
Increase your play rate by:
- Choosing visually interesting thumbnails. The thumbnail is the first thing a viewer sees, so it’s important to make this image as compelling as possible. Granted, students might not have a choice but to view the video, but user experience will impact how much of the video is viewed and how the overall course is perceived by students.
- Selecting a high quality media player. Make sure students can view your video no matter their device with a responsive video player that provides high-quality video on demand. Things like adaptive bitrate streaming, network-sensing technology and interactive capabilities make high-def streaming a positive experience for all.
- Keeping video content front and center on your site. Placement matters, so make sure your videos and assets are in the right place for the right audience to optimize play rate.
Assessing Video Engagement
Video engagement is how much time people spend watching your video content, and how much they engage with content, whether it’s by asking or answering questions, taking notes, or adding annotations. A higher video engagement means that viewers are staying interested in your content rather than shutting off the video mid-play.
Analytics enable administrators to look closely at individual videos. This can, over time, enable pattern recognition in videos and overall improvement of video content and video engagement. Assessing the following may help to improve video engagement.
- Are viewers watching videos all the way through? If not, when are they stopping the video? Are there any patterns to viewer interest?
- Is the video topically appropriate for the site? Is it relevant to your viewers?
- Does the video meet the needs of your users? Do they have a reason to watch it?
- Which of your videos has performed the best? What has made it a strong performer?
Not only does YuJa’s analytics suite provide an overall summary of data, but it also breaks it down user by user, which allows instructors to identify at-risk students.
Using YuJa’s Video Analytics
Using video analytics maximizes the value of video content and video content management. YuJa’s Usage and Analytics tools enable an in-depth understanding of how users are watching video, and how your videos are performing on an ongoing basis. With these tools, you can review how students are using your content, what is peaking their interests, and which videos are performing best, which can be used to help guide future lessons.