While some instructors happily embrace new technology even with the extra steps, others may be more reluctant to add to their responsibilities. Fortunately, there is an easy, accessible solution that brings lecture capture to every classroom 一 automation.
What Is Automated Lecture Capture?
Automated lecture capture is exactly what it sounds like; lecture capture technology starts and stops on a schedule. Lectures are live streamed, published to the course, or saved on a day-to-day basis without any effort from the instructor aside from the initial setup. You might think of automated lecture capture a bit like setting up a calendar event. Once the parameters have been set, no one is required to do anything. Management and maintenance of lecture capture is simplified, and there is no need for regular instructor involvement in the process.
How Does It Work?
YuJa’s software is able to automate lecture capture in three ways: using the Auto-Scheduling Sub Panel, APIs, and Room Scheduling integration.
- Auto-Schedule Sub-Panel: YuJa’s Device Scheduler automates the recording process using Software Capture applications within the Admin Panel. Instructors or IT teams can create a one-time or recurring schedule for Lecture Capture in a few simple steps.
- APIs: An Application Programming Interface is essentially an intermediary between applications that allows them to work together. YuJa provides a series of RESTful APIs (representational state transfer) to provide seamless scheduling and management of video capture content.
- Room Scheduling Integration: YuJa has partnerships with Ad Astra and Scientia, which allows institutions to pull room schedules and auto-schedule, making YuJa’s Lecture Capture even more valuable.
The Benefits of Auto-scheduling for Instructors
Auto-scheduling offers a number of benefits for instructors. With automation, instructors can:
- Control recordings using any web browser
- Capture and live stream
- Adjust schedules
- Publish seamlessly to their LMS
When lecture captures are automated, there is no need to take time at the beginning of the class session to start recordings, or to take attention away from students at the end of the class session to stop and save or publish a recording.
For Tech-Savvy Instructors: Instructors who enjoy new technology can still use on-demand lecture capture for impromptu or scheduled review sessions, study groups, or even mobile captures; however, auto-scheduling eliminates any risk of human error.
For Less Tech-Savvy Instructors: For instructors less comfortable with new technology, auto-scheduling provides a hands-off approach to lecture capture. Their lectures are captured without any effort or involvement from them.
All instructors benefit from knowing that their students have access to high-quality lecture captures for review and reference. This can limit the need for in-class review, and provide a useful resource that instructors can refer to on an ongoing basis.
The Benefits of Auto-scheduling for Institutions
While students and instructors can benefit from automation on a day-to-day basis, the benefits of auto-scheduling technology are even more significant for institutions.
- Students have expressed a strong interest in lecture capture technology, and many even have an expectation of the availability of lecture capture. For institutions, being able to provide reliable and widespread lecture capture is an important marketing opportunity to attract and retain a quality student body.
- Automated lecture capture provides consistency. There is no need to expend additional effort and expense to train instructors or to work to encourage instructor compliance.
- Automation requires little time for set-up, and can be completed before the semester begins. Smart scheduling technology even allows for vacation periods.